Title Autologous Blood Injection For The Treatment of Recurrent Mandibular Dislocation
Clinical Question For a patient with a chronic TMJ luxation disorder, could injecting autologous blood into the patient’s TMJ reduce the problem?
Clinical Bottom Line For a patient with a chronic TMJ luxation disorder, injecting autologous blood into the patient’s TMJ is effective in reducing the pain. This evidence is supported by a case series of 11 patients. In comparison to other invasive procedures, this technique includes various advantages such as: “ease of performance, low cost, and a low complication rate.”
Best Evidence  
PubMed ID Author / Year Patient Group Study type
(level of evidence)
26022511Coser/201511 patientsCase series
Key resultsThis clinical trial initially included 23 patients; 12 patietns were excluded from the study because they did not meet the inclusion criteria. Before injecting the patients with blood, the mean of maximum incisal opening was 38 mm (range: 32-53 mm) and 39 mm (Range: 35-48 mm) after the injection. Upon the follow-up period which ranged from 24 to 35 months (average: 29.6 months), three pateints relapsed (27.3%). Among the three patients, two patients relapsed after two months and one patient after six months. Recurrent mandibular dislocation did not reoccur in the other eight patients (72.7%). During this study, no facial nerve injury or scars occurred. Local discomfort was reported in six patients (54%) which later resolved during the follow-up. Bleeding from the external ear canal was also reported in one patient which later discontinued.
Evidence Search autologous[All Fields] AND ("blood"[Subheading] OR "blood"[All Fields] OR "blood"[MeSH Terms]) AND ("injections"[MeSH Terms] OR "injections"[All Fields] OR "injection"[All Fields]) AND temporomandibular[All Fields]
Comments on
The Evidence
Validity: More than 80% completed the study and the patients were treated the same with adequate follow-ups. Compliance and double-blindness cannot be told. The authors were not biased and did not declare any conflicts of interests Perspective: This clinical study represented the effectinvness of using autologous blood injections in reducing the recurrence of luxation in chronic patients. The patient pool used in the study was eleven patients. Another study of a larger pool of patients would be necessary to evaluate the success of this technique on a larger scale.
Applicability The evidence is applicable to any patient with chronic luxation. It is minimally invasive, rapid, cost-effective, and could be considered for patients as an alternative prior to surgical intervention.
Specialty (General Dentistry) (Oral Surgery)
Keywords Recurrent mandibular dislocation, autologous blood injection, luxation
ID# 3063
Date of submission 03/15/2016
E-mail fattouhi@livemail.uthscsa.edu
Author Marwan Fattouhi
Co-author(s) e-mail
Faculty mentor Edward F. Wright, DDS, MS
Faculty mentor e-mail WrightE2@uthscsa.edu
Basic Science Rationale
(Mechanisms that may account for and/or explain the clinical question, i.e. is the answer to the clinical question consistent with basic biological, physical and/or behavioral science principles, laws and research?)
None available
Comments and Evidence-Based Updates on the CAT
None available